Saturday, January 19, 2008

...and they give you FREE COOKIES















They finally let me donate blood again today. I've been a regular donor for years but unbeknownst to me, a beach vacation red-flagged me as a no-way donor for a full year since apparently the area of Mexico in which I traveled has more than it's share of mosquitoes. A year has passed and I saw a news clip last night about the critical need for blood, so I stopped in this afternoon and earned my stickers.

If you've never donated before, it is really easy. You do have to answer a bunch of health-related questions and take a little finger-prick test first, but if your iron level is good, you're not recovering from a 'bout of malaria and you haven't paid anyone for weird barnyard kinda sex in the last year or so, you're probably a shoo-in for a nice, relaxing half hour or so in a cozy chair with your feet up.

Well yes, of course there is a needle involved but I'm here to tell you, the people at the blood center are the BEST when it comes to needles. The absolute best. It's clean, it's safe, it's really easy and the very cool thing is................you honestly, for-real could save someone's life.

If you've ever seen the effects that a blood transfusion has on someone who badly needs one, it is pretty darn amazing. When I needed one a few years back, I was sure glad someone had cared enough to take the time.

DID I MENTION THEY GIVE YOU FREE COOKIES AND JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Such a deal.

Seriously, give them a call if you can.

No comments: