Monday, January 26, 2015

Lifeboats




The rains came and the dam just outside of town broke. The water came rushing into town and began to rise around the houses.
A man was standing in his living room, water up to his ankles when his neighbor pulled up in the driveway in his SUV. “Come on, get in! I can help you! We’ll drive out of here before the water gets too high!”
The man smiled from his door and waved his friend on, “I’ve been praying! God will take care of me. Thanks, though!”  And his neighbor drove out of the neighborhood.
Soon the waters were so high the man had to go to the second floor of his house. The water was just below the sill of his upstairs window when one of his church friends came by in a fishing boat. “Get in! I can help by getting you out of here before the water gets too high!”
The man smiled from the window and waved his friend on. “No, it’s ok. I’ve been praying! God will take care of me. Thanks, though!” And his friend from church left.
Soon the waters were up to the gutters and the man was on his roof. Overhead came a police helicopter. They dropped a rope and yelled down to the man, “Grab on! We’ll help you! We will haul you up and save you before the waters consume your house!”
The man smiled and waved, refusing to grab hold of the rope. “No, please go. I’ve been praying! God will take care of me. Thanks, though!” And the helicopter flew away.
A short time later the waters consumed his home and the man drowned in the rushing water. At once, he was standing at the gates of heaven. God opened the gate with a look of surprise on his face and said, “What are YOU doing here? You’re not supposed to be here for years!”
And the man says, “Well lord, the dam broke and waters flooded the town. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed for you to save me from my trouble but you never showed up and I drowned.”
And God said, “Man, what about the SUV and the boat and the helicopter I sent?????”



Pray without ceasing,
expect miracles
and don't miss the lifeboats
God sends to your stormy seas.

No comments: