Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Wonder Woman


And then there are the days
you think
you can do
just about anything.

Anything.

Like a superhero.
Run faster than a speeding bullet.
Throw down
with more power
than a locomotive.
Leap tall buildings.
In a single bound,

Even
replicate Red Lobster's
Cheddar Bay Biscuit recipe
with two scoops of Bisquick
an egg 
and a handful of 
grated cheese
leftover 
from 
football Friday's
pizza.



Anything.
They're superwoman days.
You're 
feelin' it
and 
dealin' it.



No matter 
what kind of day it is
my prayer
is this.

God
please just keep me real.
Not fake.
No pretending to be something I'm not.
Not smoothed over
pumped up
and ironed out.

Let the memories
of laughter
line up
around my
eyes
and years 
of grins and giggles
pucker the flesh around my mouth.

Let my light shine
from a place
deep within
and
bright enough
to make the path clear
for someone
who might be struggling
to see
where to place
their feet.

When it comes time
for someone to wonder
let them see
beyond a shadow
of any doubt at all.

Make it
clear to them.

She's not really a superhero.
Or an angel.
She is who she is.



No comments: