Saturday, August 01, 2009

Mike's Graduation Day

It could have rained. No one would have noticed. But it was a blue-sky beautiful summer's day. The grass was green, the breeze was gentle and inside the auditorium the uniforms were pressed, the shoes and badges polished.

Graduation day for our Michael.
It began with the surprise arrival of his favorite little girl in the world.
My dear daughter-in-law Nikki, Victoria's sweet mommy Lisa and I all conspired along with 5-year old Victoria to fly her in for the special occasion...........and keep it a secret. That's a tall order for an almost-Kindergartner!

But we did it! She popped out of the car into the surprised arms of her Daddy, the perfect start to a perfect day.


So let's get this show on the road!!


Class officers as they're introduced. Mike was VP of the 229th graduating class of the
Iowa Law Enforcement Academy


Officially receiving his badge from great friend and cousin Chris, an Iowa State Trooper.


Grandpa Evans graduated from the ILEA in 1973.
He served with the Polk County Sheriff's Department.


The accomplishment is shared by Mike's wife Nikki. They're newlyweds and she kept everything going at home while he was away for the past couple of months.


Proud, proud Grandma.



Mike and his Dad.




Mike graduated on my birthday. Can't think of a better present!
That night at the party we took out some time for cake.



Victoria was busy catching lightning bugs.
She wouldn't let me see him because.....Grandma, I can't. You KNOW he'll fly away!!!


When it got dark we broke out the glow-in-the-dark party bracelets.
This is David's sweetheart of a girlfriend Missy.


Teri and Rodney.


Yet another of my great kids. David. My oldest.


My cousin and traveling buddy, Rhonda.


My daughter-in-law Nikki is super-hostess. She was all over the back yard all evening like the Energizer bunny, making sure everyone had food and drinks. She had a pink pig pinata for the little kids, fireworks and packages of powdered donuts for everyone.....get it.....donuts...cops.....love it.

Mike and Nik's yard is huge and there were groups of people all over it in lawn chairs, at picnic tables, relaxing around the fire pit, checking out the garden. After I filled up a little plate of food and made my rounds saying hello, I spent the rest of the evening tucked into a corner of their deck where we had a great view of the party going on in the yard.


Candlelight made for some blurry pics but I had to include them because I had such a great time with these friends. Janie and my cousin, Sherilyn. A couple of my veteran Camper Girls.


My cousin Rodney. One of my favorite guys in the whole world.


Didn't take long after the kids started swinging. Soon all that was left of the piggy pinata was piles of candy on the ground and a nice, pink, pig head.


Inside, in the spirit of the days surprises, Victoria takes careful aim and nails Grandpa with a can of silly string when he isn't lookin'.



It was a great day. Much more so than my photos show
Congratulations Mike, your family is proud of you.

2 comments:

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

What awesome pics! And what a great surprise for a daddy.Nothing better then a little girl smile and hug.

Unknown said...

Yeahhh, she melts his heart. Definitely.