Monday, January 05, 2015

The New Year

 
Every year I seek a word
 a thought or a phrase
 to claim as my purpose for the year.
 
I like having something on which to focus
 as I go about the daily business of living;
 something I can consider and return to over and over
 to make sure I'm growing and learning;
 a reminder to offer love and hope and light to people who cross my path.
 
This year, I chose a thought, Inspired by Irish poet John O'Donohue.
 

 
I love the visual reminder
of a river
always flowing
through channels of
smooth, open water
over stones
past fields
and shaded by forests;
of the narrow channels
with churning water
and whirpools
and jagged rocks
that seem to split
the continuity of something
so mighy
and so strong.
 
I like the peace
of a river
and its fearless flowing,
constant
regardless of what lies
around the next bend.
 
It just keeps on flowing.
 
 
John O'Donohue wrote:

"I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.”
 
You can find information about Mr. O'Donohue
and his wonderful books by visiting his website
 
 
 


No comments: