Thursday, September 24, 2015

March of the Moving


The march continues.
My garage-size storage unit
is nearly full.

Some of my stuff is still to arrive
but the mound
is daunting.

The first time I
threw open the door
I just stood there
and despaired
of ever
ever
EVER
having the energy
or the strength
to empty it.

I have to rally.
It isn't going to empty itself.

So I reflect
back on my childhood lessons.

Lest we forget....


....a robin feathering it's nest
has very little time to rest!

And.....
we ALL know.....

 ...just a spoonful of sugar
helps the medicine go down!!!

So.
I shut the garage door.
Went out.
And I got some ice cream.


A practice I highly recommend.
And while we're losing our mind
to a dairy-high
we find renewed strength
to ponder the tasks ahead.

All the appropriate motivational phrases
come to mind.


Said by a fellow of great influence
and literary note
but I'm not sure he ever
had to empty his own
storage unit.

Just saying.


This, of course is a given.
I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor
with blankets as sheets
rolled up towels
as pillows
and flashlights
to keep me from tripping
as I walk through rooms.

Clearly
the today I locate my sheets
and pillows
and lamps
will improve my tomorrows
in a big, big way.


Oh Lord.
Honest?
That little
I think I can, I think I can
train
is rolling along the tracks of my
weary mind
but I'm really
not sure I can, not sure I can, not sure I can.


Best I can come up with
would be the $180 bucks 
I'm going to save
every month
when that storage unit
is empty.
That's a harvest.


And yet.
I get tired.
My car is only so big.
My legs are only so long.
And I am an old lady.
Confucius got old.
I think he probably
would have said
"Debbie, it's ok to stop.
And rest.
And maybe have a Bailey's on ice.
Because you're worth it."

I really think he would.


Ohhhh SHUT. UP. Sam. 


And indeed, this is true.
I learned it when I was a mail carrier 
lots of years ago.
I would come in off the country route
where I delivered mail to 500
of my closest friends and neighbors
along a 75-mile
mostly gravel
path
and I would crawl into bed
and cry
because I knew 
I had to do it all over again the next day.

But!
What I learned
is that a great nights sleep
is awesome medicine
and I'd awaken before the birds
to hit the ground running
and do it all over
again.

Thus
I know
I can do this.
I can do this, I can do this I can do this.


And eventually
all these crates
will be empty
and there will be light from a lamp
and a bed that is made
with pillows even
and I'll
finally
just maybe
feel like
I have a home.

One step in front of the other, girl.



No comments: